Saturday 29 September 2012

Photographs of my model

Photographs of my model

 
Over the past week I started to take photographs of my model for the font cover image of my magazine. As my theme is Christmas I used props related to this theme. When I asked my target audience about the props, they responded saying they would most relate Tinsel, snow and a Santa hat with Christmas, however I could not get snow in the photograph, so I used both of the other props with my model in the photograph.  
 
 
 
 
These are four photographs I took of my model, I feel that these are the best out of all the images I took and I am now going to rule out my ultimate favourite.
 I decided to try different camera angles in attempt to get a duller look to the background, as the magazine is to be themed around Christmas, yet keep the vibrant to the images, I found that this was very difficult to achieve and I then decided that I would have to edit the image to get the Christmas, cold, December feel to the image.
  My favourite out of these four photographs is the bottom right image, I feel this is because I like how it is composed; I like how my model is standing- casual, leaning against the tree, giving it a sense of peace and freedom to the image which contrasts with her formal clothing overall creating the feeling that the school is a great, relaxing place to be. I also like how my model is looking at the folder in her hands, the viewer is drawn to follow her gaze, which leads them to the Beaver wood school badge, highlighting that the magazine is for Beaver wood sixth form pupils.
My least favourite of the images is the bottom right image; this is because the model is looking at the camera. I like how the model is smiling and creating a relaxed happy atmosphere however I feel that this will take the viewers focus away from the folder in her hand and to her face; something that I wasn`t aiming to create within the photograph. However I do like the angle that I have taken this photograph from.
I feel that, in the top two, I have taken the photograph from the wrong angles as the viewer cannot see what the sixth former is looking at; making the folder seem pointless in the image, however because my magazine is for internal school release, it does not matter about the beaver wood badge- But I would still like to have this shown in the photograph. I have decided that I do not want to use these two photographs for that simple reason. I have also noticed that in the top left image, the sun is extremely bright in the background and I feel that even using a filter on the image will not let me get that cold, winter night feel.
 
So, the photograph I like the best is the bottom right one, I feel that this is the best image to use for my magazine cover and I also started testing filters on the image and found that they work very nicely on that particular image. I used a transparent blue filter on the image to get the winter feel. I have put the original image next to the edited one to show the difference. I feel that this filter has got me the effect that I wanted; however I am going to experiment more with the edited image to try and further that winter`s day feel.
 
 
 



Original


Edited


I will also be trying filters on some of my other photographs and also different filters on the image above, which I will upload soon.
 
I will also be taking my group photographs soon, which I would like to have interacting with the tinsel and Santa hat, studying or having a conversation with each other. I will also like to include some photographs of the school in snow, which I took last year when It snowed heavily. I will also upload these soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great quality photographs. I feel that your juxtaposition of tinsel, which connotes fun and celebration, with quite a serious facial expression and studying, needs a little more explanation though. Perhaps you could incorporate this when it comes to choosing your cover lines? I notice you've deliberately chosen an indirect mode of address, so you'll need to explain your reasoning for this too, and link it carefully to your cover lines.

    ReplyDelete